In year two of the Trust’s five-year strategic action plan, the focus continues on strengthening the organization and building on the progress we have made toward completing several major projects.
Conservation & Preservation
Factory Houses Preservation; Phase One. Move before or by June 11, 2010, stabilize at new site, and begin the exterior restoration.
- Complete the exterior restoration of the Bruce House and landscape the front yard of the property.
- Stephen D. Matthews Nature Preserve. Implement the monitoring program using an inclusive, community-based process, initiate a restorative landscaping project, and control the spread of invasive species into the native forest of the middle and northeast sections.
Partners in Stewardship
- Friends of the Greenway: Continue the stewardship program of the first phase of the Setauket-Pt. Jefferson Station Greenway, monitor and assess accomplishments to prepare for phase two of the trail, scheduled to open in 2012.
- Gamecock Cottage – limited summer program in 2010 during restoration work by Town of Brookhaven
Community Planning and Education
- Three Village Conservation Strategies2030: Host a planning workshop for community input into the 2009 report and establish conservation alliance to implement shared goals.
- Sponsor Harbor Day 2010 in partnership with local organizations and appropriate public agencies. Probable date: Saturday, October 9.
- Conscience Bay Watershed Program – reevaluate and work with SBU Marine Science Research Center to implement a program.
- Continue to develop support of our activities and programs and to increase our competitiveness in seeking public and private grants.
- Make the transition from an all-volunteer organization to partial staff management of our programs and assets.
- Sixth Annual Celebration – Thursday, November 18th